Wills and Trusts
Alameda County Wills, Trusts & Probate Attorney
Comprehensive, legally sound will, living trust and probate services for California business clients since 1976
Pleasanton, CA wills and trusts attorney, James G. Schwartz, provides comprehensive estate planning and probate services to business owners and clients throughout Alameda County and Northern California with substantial property and assets seeking to:
- Avoid excessive taxation
- Care for minor children
- Eliminate / negotiate disputes during probate
- Distribute assets according to legally sound directives
- Leave clear instructions for medical care and financial decisions
- Take care of family pets
A well-prepared and legally sound estate plan is the best gift an individual can leave their family, especially if there is a business involved. Pro-active planning for business succession, divorce issues and distribution of stock or retirement / death benefits can ensure a smooth transition for your family. At the Pleasanton Law Offices of James G. Schwartz, our lawyers offer personal service and meticulous planning on all aspects of California estate planning, including:
- Will: A Will is a legal document clearly identifying what will be done with your assets and to whom they will be distributed upon your death. A will allows you to decide who receives your property and will also account for the care of any minor children.
- Living Will: A Living Will specifies what type of medical care you would like to receive, if any, should you be unable to speak for yourself.
- Living Trust: Assets placed in a Living Trust will be passed directly to beneficiaries upon your death, by-passing probate and court involvement. This kind of trust can be revocable or irrevocable depending on your wishes.
- Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care: Sometimes called a "Healthcare Directive" or "Proxy", this appoints an individual who will act in your stead when making medical decisions when you are unable to do so yourself. A Power of Attorney can also be assigned for financial issues as well.
- Probate: Probate is the legal process by which your estate is organized, your will validated and your assets distributed according to your wishes and California law. Our attorneys can assist executors throughout the entire probate process, including paperwork and tax filings to ensure a transition free from disputes either with the government or between family members.
- Business Succession / Effects of Divorce
- Distribution of retirement / death benefits: IRA / KEOGH, 401k, Pension Plans
- Dispute Resolution / Litigation
- Elder Abuse
An attorney from the Law Offices of James G. Schwartz will work closely with you and your family to clearly identify your goals and determine the best estate vehicles to protect your assets. With nearly 30 years of practical estate planning experience for business owners throughout Northern California, we understand the unique planning issues encountered by individuals with substantial assets. Our chief concern is the creation of legally sound documentation that accounts for and avoids potential disputes. We are, however, experienced trial attorneys capable of negotiating and litigating probate disputes between family members, the government and the IRS with our client's legal rights firmly in mind.Contact Us:
If you need the assistance of a skilled California estate planning and probate attorney to protect your family and your assets. CONTACT the Pleasanton Law Offices of James G. Schwartz today for a comprehensive consultation and an affordable, legally sound estate plan.
VISIT our Practice Area Overview page for more information on other areas of practice, including collections, real estate law and civil litigation.